Information for Victims Of Crime

Help for victims of crime 

Support if you've experienced physical or emotional harm, property damage or economic loss as a result of a crime.

Click here.

If you are a victim of a crime and an offender has been charged for committing this offense, this matter will be dealt with by the Canadian Criminal Justice System. This system can at times seem both complicated and confusing. With information and support however, this does not need to be the case.

As a victim of a crime, you do have rights and entitlements. To learn more about what you can expect from the criminal justice system, please review Alberta's Victims of Crime Protocol.

If you would like support and assistance while your matter is before the courts, please contact SRVSS at 403-934-6552. We can update you regularly as to the status of your matter before the court, can attend court with you and can also provide you with additional information regarding the Canadian Criminal Justice System.

If you are a witness you may also incur some expenses when attending court. To help with these costs, you are eligible to make a claim to the courts for some of these expenses e.g. travel costs, meals and accommodation.

If you are traveling from out of town and are required to attend court as a Crown witness in Strathmore, the  Crown Prosecutor’s office can assist you with all your travel and accommodation needs. These arrangements should be made once you have received your subpoena (advising when and where you are to testify) and prior to your court appearance.

Victims of Crime Protocol and Program Information

  • Victims of Crime Protocol Booklet  What victims of crime can expect from the criminal justice system

    • The protocol gives you detailed information on programs available and on the criminal justice process from when you report the crime to when an offender is released.

If you would like a hard copy of The Victims Of Crime Protocol, Please contact our Victim Services Unit at


Victim Programs

Gives you the opportunity to express to the court the impact the crime has had on you physically, emotionally, and on your life in your own words.

Please contact SRVSS if you would like to obtain a Victim Impact Statement 

A Community Impact Statement gives your community a chance to tell the court how it’s been affected by a crime.

Injury - Green Form

Victims who suffer a physical or psychological injury as a result of a serious and violent crime or a Witness to a homicide are eligible to apply for Financial Benefits.

Death -  Orange Form

Survivors of someone who dies as a result of a serious and violent crime are eligible to apply for reimbursement of funeral costs.

Charges must be laid If you have lost money,property or had extra expenses because of a crime you have the right to have the court consider ordering the offender to repay you. Some things you can request restitution for include:

  • replacing or repairing property​

  • lost wages

  • temporary housing if you have to move out of the offenders household

  • counselling or out of pocket medical expenses